Your feet have a direct impact on the rest of your body. Like the foundations of a house, they support the weight of everything above them. When the foot develops a problem, this causes a subtle change in the way you walk. This in turn will cause a chain reaction of adjustments in your posture and walking mechanics.
As an athlete myself, I have long understood the detrimental effect of bad foot mechanics on human performance. These changes can put stress on joints higher up in your body which is why sometimes foot problems present as knee, hip, back or even neck pain!
James Cosgrave BSc DC
- What are Custom Foot Orthotics?
- How do you know if you need Orthotic Insoles for Support?
- How does the Orthotic Foot Scan work?
- How long does it take and what does it cost?
What are Custom Foot Orthotics?
Prescription orthotics look like shoe insoles but they are actually biomechanical medical appliances that are custom made to correct your specific foot imbalance. They are sometimes called orthopedic insoles.
Properly made orthotics are custom moulded to restore normal alignment and balance by gently correcting foot abnormalities. They fit as comfortably as a shoe insert! And, they have the added advantage of being made from a highly technical foot scan of your actual walking gait which is then sent to the laboratory for gait analysis and manufacure of your prescription orthotic shoes insoles.
How do you know if you need Orthotic Insoles for Support?
- I have foot pain on a regular basis
- I spend a good deal of the day standing or walking on hard surfaces
- I regularly play sport (eg tennis, golf, football, hurling)
- I get joint pain when I walk, run or stand
- I have visible foot problems (eg bunions, flat feet, fallen arches, corns, hammer toes, etc)
- One of my legs is shorter than the other
- I have knock knees or bow legs
- My shoes wear out quickly or unevenly
- My feet 'toe-out' when I walk
- My parents had foot pain / foot related symptoms
How does the Orthotic Foot Scan work?
1. Foot is scanned
As you walk across the pressure plate, thousands of tiny sensors capture the distribution of pressure of your foot over time
2. Foot Pressure is Mapped
From your step, the computer displays 2D and 3D visuals of the pressure under your foot and helps determine if the pain you are experiencing is due to faulty foot function.
3. Data sent to Laboratory
If it is assessed that you will benefit from foot orthotics your data is sent to the lab. From there your custom foot orthotics are manufactured specifically for you and your feet.
How long does it take and what does it cost?
Once you have had the Gaitscan done, your custom orthotic insoles will normally be ready in 2 weeks.
For cost, please consult our current Rates.